Sunday, May 31, 2009

Appreciate what you have

Today upon a bus,
I saw a lovely maid with golden hair.
I envied her - she seemed so gay - and wished I were as fair.
When suddenly she arose to leave,
I saw the cruel braces as she hobbled down the aisle;
a victim of polio was she.
But as she passed -- a smile! Oh, God,
forgive me when I whine.
I have two straight feet.
The world is mine!

And then I stopped to buy some sweets.
The lad who sold them had such charm.
I talked with him.
He said to me, "It's nice to talk with folks like you. You see,"
he said, "I'm blind." Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I have two eyes.
The world is mine!

Then walking down the street,
I saw a child with eyes of blue.
He stood and watched the others play.
It seemed he knew not what to do.
I stopped a moment, then I said,
"Why don't you join the others, dear?"
He looked ahead without a word
and then I knew.... He could not hear.
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I have two ears. The world is mine!

With feet to take me where I'd go,
with eyes to see the sunset's glow;
with ears to hear what I would know --
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I'm blessed indeed. The world is mine!


I would say then that we must be grateful of what we had even the littlest thing...Appreciating what we have is one of the best things ever.

No comments: